Participants in the next “Equipping Preachers” program will explore “Performing the Word… Online” in a guided exploration of how to apply communication theory – along with approaches used by actors, orators and television performers.
The free online workshop from 10 to 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, January 5, 2022, will be facilitated by the Rev. Dr. Jana L. Childers, a homiletics and speech communication professor at the San Francisco Theological Seminary at the University of Redlands who was featured on the Hallmark Channel’s Great Preachers Series.
Click here for more details about the January 5, 2022 program and here to register.
The workshop is part of a monthly series about preaching being coordinated by the Synod of the Covenant. Click here for an overview of the series.
Upcoming workshops include
- “Getting Helpful Listener Feedback” facilitated February 2, 2022 by the Rev. Dr. Charles “Chip” Hardwick, interim executive of the Synod of the Covenant. The conversation will explore the role of the preacher and of the listener in creating faithful and effective sermons in virtual and non-virtual settings.
- “Preaching in the Valley of Dry Bones” facilitated March 2, 2022 by the Rev. Dr. Luke A. Powery, dean of Duke University Chapel and associate professor of homiletics at Duke Divinity School. The conversation will explore the fruit of Ezekiel 37 for preaching in our times.
- “Preaching in Polarized Times” facilitated April 6, 2022 by the Rev. Dr. Angela Dienhart Hancock, associate professor of homiletics and worship at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. The conversation will explore ways to disrupt the dehumanizing force of polarization by using biblical and theological resources.
Resources related to previous workshops in the series are available by clicking here and scrolling down the page. Available recordings include:
- “From/ To: Preaching that Accords with Covenant and Commission” facilitated December 1, 2021 by the Rev. Dr. Timothy Matthew Slemmons of the University of Dubuque Theological Seminary.
- “The Peoples’ Sermon: Preaching as a Ministry of the Whole Congregation” facilitated November 3, 2021 by the Rev. Dr. Shauna Hannan of Lutheran Pacific Theological Seminary.
- “What Poets Can Teach Preachers about Surviving, Thriving and Talking about What We Do” facilitated September 1, 2021 by the Rev. Dr. Anna Carter Florence of Columbia Theological Seminary.